Synopsis from France24 live blog feed:
At least 80 people are dead after a lorry ploughed into a crowd attending Bastille Day celebrations in the French city of Nice on Thursday night, in what is being investigated as a terror attack.
Here are the main developments so far:
– At around 11pm local time lorry ploughed into a crowd of people in the southern French city of Nice towards the end of a fireworks display to celebrate the Bastille Day holiday.
– The lorry drove at a high speed for a distance of around 2km through the crowd, according to witnesses and officials.
– The driver of the lorry was shot dead by police.
– Officials have said that at least 80 people have died, including children, with around 20 more critically injured.
– French President François Hollande said the attack was “clearly of a terrorist nature”. It is being investigated by France’s anti-terror unit.
– Hollande said a state of emergency implemented after the November terror attacks in Paris and due to end on July 26 will be extended by another three months.
UPDATE 0935E 15JUL2016: Herschel has some thoughts.